Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Same Other: Photos on Hamburg by Serish Nanisetti & Sridala Swami

Five years ago, I went to Hamburg for five days and came back with hundreds of photographs I had to pare down to a manageable 50 to exhibit. It was a crazy time and some of that was described in these posts.

This year, the Goethe Zentrum Hyderabad celebrates 10 years of its existence and, as a part of those celebrations, is having a retrospective of some of the things they have done in the city this last decade.

So, in celebration, what was Posting the Light: Dispatches from Hamburg, is now leaner, with 20 photographs and some text, and has merged with Serish Nanisetti's photographs (which juxtapose Hamburg and Hyderabad) and it all looks very wonderful.

All hasn't been smooth sailing, though. One important photograph - so important that I nearly didn't want it to go to someone else - can't be a part of the exhibition even though I'd wanted to include it. I asked the person who has it, if I could borrow it and he said yes. He was to send it to the GZ but he claims that his driver took it to Nalgonda instead. Ya, right. 

Serish has a gigantic image - photographs printed on canvas and I wanted to see it very badly yesterday, but it hadn't yet arrived by the time I left. 

I have no idea how it's all going to be ready by this evening, but - in the words of Geoffrey Rush - it's a mystery.

Here are the details. But in short, The Same Other opens at 5pm, Journalists Colony, 11th December 2014.

This is what the place looked like in the afternoon yesterday. It'll look different today, I promise!

Prepping for The Same Other December 2014

No comments: