Friday, August 03, 2007

PLOTUS Simic

That's Poet Laureate of The United States. See also:

Born in Belgrade in 1938, he knew war as a child. “Germans and the Allies took turns dropping bombs on my head while I played with my collection of lead soldiers on the floor,” Simic told The Cortland Review. “I would go boom, boom, and then they would go boom, boom.”

And he said in the Times today: “I’m sort of the product of history; Hitler and Stalin were my travel agents.”

(via too many blogs to enumerate.)

So many Simic poems one could point to, but go read this one.

Now is the time to air deep thoughts about what the job of a Poet Laureate is, why India doesn't have one, and what we would do if we did.

5 comments:

Black Muddy River said...

Where's the post you mentioned on my blog? Would want the link to it.

Space Bar said...

S, it's on the sidebar, called One Long Film. Here: http://spaniardintheworks.blogspot.com/2006/05/one-long-film.html

Falstaff said...

Actually, I'm not sure what the job of the Poet Laureate is - I think I've been biased against the post in general ever since Wordsworth.

And I have to say I'm not sure it's such a bad thing that India doesn't have one. If the presidential election is anything to go by there's no chance of our actually getting someone decent. Anyone worth reading would probably fall foul of the moral police. And there's the obvious language problem involved.

On the whole, I'd say what we need much more than a Poet Laureate is a couple of decent (preferably online) journals that publish genuinely good poetry.

Space Bar said...

Falstaff: yeah, I read a poem Andrew Motion wrote during some royal thingy and it was terrible. And I guess, since it's all so pointless anyway, that Kalam was more of a Poet Laureate than a President.

How depressing.

Online journals and genuione poetry is a whole other matter, though. :D

Cheshire Cat said...

Hard to think of a poet with less of a gift for language. His poetry sounds as though it's been translated.

That he still manages to salvage something - a vision? a voice? - is curious, even admirable.